Cable Channel Use Policy
Township of Franklin
Purpose: To define the usage and scope of Township of Franklin web sites and the local cable access channel in Franklin.
Effective January 1, 2007: Administrative fee for Public Service Announcements.
Section 1. General Provisions for Township of Franklin Web site and Local Cable Access Channel Usage
A) The Township of Franklin web sites and the local cable access channel in Franklin are for the purpose of informing Township residents about the Township of Franklin including:
1) Township-sponsored events, news, programs, initiatives, and services
2) Township Committee discussions and decisions
3) Board and Commission actions
4) Neighborhood association meetings
5) Health and public safety issues
6) Township recreation programs and events
7) Township economic development initiatives and issues
8) Attractions, festivals, and performances
B) Advertisements for businesses or notices promoting the sale of products or services are not allowed on Township of Franklin web sites or on the cable access channel.
C) Advertisements, articles, programs, or other content for or against political candidates, political referenda, or ballot items are not permitted on Township of Franklin web sites or on the cable access channel. Religious proselytizing is not permitted.
D) The following are allowed on Township of Franklin web sites or on the cable access channel, and are excepted from the above provisions:
1) Messages or advertisements that promote the Township of Franklin, Township- sponsored events, or Township programs, services, and initiatives
2) Sponsorship statements or logos on Township of Franklin web pages or in a cable access program or notice by organizations or businesses providing funds or in-kind services to Township of Franklin departments, events, or services. Such sponsorship does not constitute an endorsement of organizations, persons, or entities not related to the Township of Franklin.
3) Statements by or about political candidates that occur in the context of public meetings or other Township-sponsored events that are broadcast on the access channel or posted/streamed on Township of Franklin web sites
4) Notices for, or tape delay broadcast of, public forums involving political candidates or about ballot items/referenda, if all of the following conditions apply:
a) Event or notice for event must be sponsored by a nonpartisan organization such as a local newspaper or a neutral nonprofit organization.
b) Event moderator must be nonpartisan.
c) Equal time must be provided to opposing candidates or those on opposing
sides of a ballot item.
d) Event must be open to the public.
E) Material or information in violation any local, state, or federal law is not permitted.
F) The Township of Franklin reserves the right to edit, alter, or remove content that is obscene, defamatory, or discriminatory on Township of Franklin web sites or on the cable access channel.
Section 2. Local Cable Access Channel
A) The Township of Franklin local cable access channel 13 is defined as a local Government, Education, and Public access cable channel. The channel is for use by Government, Educational, and Public institutions, defined follows:
1) “Government” is the Township of Franklin, Gloucester County, and state or federal government entities.
2) “Educational institution” includes the Delsea Regional School District, Township of Franklin School District. .
3) “Public” is defined as nonprofit organizations that are located within the Township limits of Franklin or its extra-territorial jurisdiction (currently 2 miles beyond Township Limits)
B) News, events, notices, programming, or information that is sponsored by Government or Educational institutions or nonprofit organizations that are located within the Township limits of Franklin or its ETJ are permitted on the access channel.
C) Electronic bulletin board notices (called Public Service Announcements or PSAs) or videotape programs and messages by nonprofit organizations that are located within the Township limits of Franklin or its ETJ are permitted on the access channel, with the following provisions:
1) Effective January 1, 2007, an administrative fee of $20 will be assessed for each PSA notice or tape submitted by qualifying nonprofits within the Township of Franklin limits. An administrative fee of $30 will be assessed for each PSA notice or tape submitted by qualifying nonprofits that are outside Township of Franklin limits and inside Franklin’s ETJ. Before PSA or tape replay requests will be processed and aired on the channel, payment must be received at Town Hall, on Delsea Drive, Franklinville, NJ, 08322. Cash or checks payable to the Township of Franklin are accepted. (Credit card payments are not currently accepted for payment of this fee.)
2) No fee will be assessed for PSA notices or tapes for events or programs sponsored by the Township of Franklin, Gloucester County, state and federal government entities, or nonprofit organizations in Franklin that receive funding from the Township of Franklin Committee.
3) If changes are requested on a message after it has been posted, a $10 edit fee will be assessed, which must be received at Town Hall before PSA changes will be made and re-posted.
4) Each nonprofit submitting a request for a PSA must have a tax statement showing nonprofit (501c3) (or Equivalent) status on file with the Township of Franklin at Town Hall.
5) All PSA requests must be submitted at least 5 days prior to the date they are to air, and will run for 30 days or until the event is complete, which ever comes first.
6) PSA requests can be submitted via a form at the Township of Franklin town Hall, or as a PDF file e-mailed to email@example.com
D) From the first day authorized by law for filing for election to the conclusion of the election, any elected official opposed on the ballot, or who becomes opposed on a ballot through some other legal process, who regularly appears on or hosts a program that is broadcast on the local access channel, shall only be permitted to appear on the channel as part of a formal public meeting, incidentally through coverage of government functions and events, or as part of a political forum in which all candidates or sides of a measure have the same opportunities for speech.
E) The Township of Franklin reserves the right to allocate time, designate uses, designate users, use the channel for Township programming, or appoint administrators for the use of the access channel or other access channels under its authority.
F) Audio, video, and other technical aspects of programming must conform to standards equal to or greater than the industry average.
G) In accordance with the Cable Television Consumer Protection and Competition Act of 1992 (“1992 Cable Act”), 47 U.S.C. § 532(h) (1997) and Federal Communications Commission regulation 47 C.F.R. § 76.701 (1997), Township of Franklin (“Franklin”) prohibits the exhibition on its PSA channels of any programming that Franklin reasonably believes is obscene. In addition, Franklin reserves the right to restrict programming that Franklin believes is in conflict with community standards in that it is indecent. Each person requesting broadcast of character generated text, messaging, or videos must certify that the content does not violate nor infringe upon the rights of any kind or nature whatsoever of any person, firm or corporation, and that the programming to be broadcast does not contain any obscene material. Each applicant must further certify that he/she is responsible for the program’s content. If the applicant refuses to provide the certificate, the Township of Franklin may refuse access to the channel. The certificate must be submitted with the application for broadcast. Notwithstanding any certification that programming does not contain any obscene or indecent material, the Township of Franklin reserve the right to review all or any portion of the programming to be carried on the channel in advance of the date of carriage. If, after review, the Township of Franklin reasonably believes that all or any portion of the programming is obscene or indecent, the Township of Franklin reserves the right to refuse to carry the programming on its channel or to restrict its carriage if indecent. Upon request, each applicant shall also provide the Township of Franklin with a tape of the programming to be carried on the leased access channel at least fifteen (15) days prior to its first scheduled date of carriage.